Wednesday, April 16, 2008

Pope Benedict's Visit


Yeah, it is day 2 of my adventure in writing my blog. I should also mention that I am a graduate of journalism school and really wanted to pursue that before starting my family. God had other plans for me. I can't tell you how moved I am by watching history unfold on my TV. My major disappointment is that our current media puts themselves as part of the story instead of telling the facts as they are.

When I was in school that was a big no no. You were given a F if you added your opinion to the any subject unless it was considered an editorial. I feel like every news broadcast is the writer's opinion and that you have to search deeply to find the truth.

My favorite coverage is when they just show an event as it unfolds. For example, Pope Benedict's first visit to the US as Pope. It is his Birthday today. He is 81. Wow, what an incredible man. His speech was very interesting. When ever I listen to the Pope speak or read any of his writings, I always try to find messages from God. He is God's mouth piece on Earth. My husband was quite funny, telling my daughter to watch George Bush's face to see if the Holy Father told him a message from God. He said watch to see if his face goes ashen. He didn't of course. I love that our President talks about God in all of his speeches.

Back to His Holiness, his speech talked about freedom. He said that with true freedom comes responsibility. I can not believe how very true this is. In order to be free, you must not just think of yourself, but consider how your actions will affect others for the good and bad. It is our responsibility to protect our Freedom. Just acting on the whims of "if it feels good do it" is not Freedom. It is actually creating a prison for yourself in many ways. It also gives evil an open door to your heart and soul. I'm sorry, that is something that I am not the least bit interested in. In my younger years, I thought differently, but I saw how that way of thinking can destroy people from the inside out. The only true freedom is through God and his Son.

I hope that you spend today trying to find your true Freedom or Bliss!!

God Bless

1 comment:

Pete Bauer said...

You're right on about journalism changing from objective to subjective. As soon as news programming was guided by ratings instead of quality, everything changed.

Don't ya just wish the Pope would somehow just cleanse the country of all of the crap and leave it pure... but then again, there's no guarantee I'd be here when he's done. :)

Nevermind.