Wednesday, April 23, 2008

Exercising and the 40 year old Body!!!




Well today I am going to try and tackle the ever frustrating conversation of exercise and diet after 40. Especially women struggle with this. I have always been extremely active and have worked out all of my life.
In my teen years, I modeled and participated in many pageants, including the Miss America Program. I was Miss Stone Mountain in the Miss Georgia Pageant in 1989. No laughing. So I have always tried to be very careful with my weight and health.
After I turned 40, I was running about 4-5 miles a day with no change and the weight was continuing to climb on. I am so frustrated!!!!!
My husband learned from a personal trainer that I was probably doing to much cardio and not enough strength training. I know infomercials are a waste usually, but I started a new exercise program called P90x. It is week 3, and I have to say I am starting to notice a pretty big difference.
The program consists of lots of old fashioned toning exercises like wall squats, and the ab ripper is insane. I have lost about 1 1/2" in my waist. This is amazing considering that is my weak area. The cardio on the program is kenpo karate, plyometrics, and hatha yoga. My flexibility has increased tremendously. I will keep you posted on my progress. I haven't gotten the courage to step on the scale yet, so I am not sure of my weight loss. My clothes are definitely a lot looser. Check it out!!! The link is below.












No comments: